Thursday, August 23, 2007

Elder Olsen




So, I finally decided to get back to the blogging world. I want to apologize for being MIA for a while, but our summer has been really crazy. The first post that I am going to do is about my cute little brother Beau. He is currently serving a mission in Madagascar and has had some really crazy experiences. The most recent one he shared with us could definitely be the most unusual. They have a holiday in Madagascar where they dig up the bodies of their ancestors and redress the bones, dance with them, have a huge feast, and then rebury them in their new attire. There are many more details, but that is the jist of it and he sent home some pictures and this is a little excerpt from his letter...."On Friday, we were invited by a member to go roll some bones: or what we call here a famadihana so we took some time out of our p day to go do tha. All I can say is it was crazy! This culture absolutely is crazy! I sent some pictures of it. I have a picture in the grave: me wrapping a dead body, a picture of them carying the body out of the grave, and then the party with the food: yes that is a cow head, a pig head; and the rest of the guts; it was honestly the craziest thing I might have ever done in my life, it was so nuts! I was carrying a dead body on my shoulder and wrapping some guy in new cloth, it was crazy:! A once in a lifetime experience. It was funny bc it was a big fam reunion too and this fam was shocked we knew malagasy..." I think that our little Beau has definitely been forced to grow up the last year and a half.

1 comments:

Courtney said...

Has he really been gone a year and a half? It feels like he just left! Crazy stuff going on in that country! I'm glad it's him and not me!