Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Charleston

A couple of weeks ago we decided to take a quick weekend trip to Charleston. It was amazing!!! It is an extremely beautiful city with so much history, amazing food, nice people, and breath-taking beaches. (My camera was out of batteries and I forgot to bring the charger and so here are a few of the places we visited, thanks google images.)











I was able to get a couple of pics at Folly Beach before the battery died. The pier at Folly Beach. There is nothing Ezra loves more than playing in the sand and so what is better than miles and miles of endless sand? And Luke enjoying the drinks that we got before we went to the beach. You would never know that he wasn't even on the charts for weight by the way that kid eats.



A really amazing bridge that connects Charleston to the Isle of Palms beach.


Battery Park
This Park is located on the coast of Charleston and is rich with history. It is across the water from Fort Sumter and has cannons that were used in the war. Pretty cool. There are all kinds of memorials and statues that tell about the history of this area.


The Battery.
A really ritzy area on the coast, near Battery Park, with lots of huge, old, beautiful homes.



Rainbow Row.



Hyman's Seafood.
The place we went to dinner. It has great seafood, hush puppies, fried okra, mac & cheese, and they give the kids free ice cream at the end. What more could you ask for?



We walked out onto the pier and there were people catching crabs. We saw a couple people pull out crab. Kinda cool. The boys loved it and Ezra thinks we should bring our own net next time.



A famous open air market. The building was built in the late 1700's or early 1800's and behind it there is a huge open air market with tons of vendors selling a variety of stuff.


There are women and children all over the city, especially near the market, that weave this grass into baskets, hats, flower, and all kinds of things. It was actually a tradition that was passed down from the time of the slaves.



King Street.
This street is lined with people and expensive shops. We were quite the spectacle with our double stroller. I can't tell you the number of times we were stopped by people telling us how cute our kids were and then asking a question about our ridiculously large stroller that took up the entire sidewalk. I am not sure if they really thought the kids were cute or if it was a dare to talk to the spectacle of a family that was taking up the entire sidewalk, or to get a closer look at what we Utahns call a double stroller.



We stayed at a really nice hotel for a great deal. Thanks priceline.



When we pulled up to our hotel there was a huge Farmer's Market that was going on across the street. It was great! We had gyros, German patries, crepes, and some vegetarian tofu thing that was delicious. There were also tons of vendors, but because we got there at 1:30 and things shut down at 2 we were bummed we couldn't hang around a little longer.
We miss you Charleston and hope to visit many more times!!!

27 comments:

Heather said...

WOW! i LOVE all the photos! the views there are amazing! the buildings, everything! what a fun trip! seriously i love it!

OOH my gosh! i can't believe how OLD your boys are!!!!! they are soo dang precious it is sickening!!!

and, you look amazing!!!

i am glad you had a great time! soo cute!

Annie said...

Hopefully we'll move close to you so we can enjoy these sites as well! And I love how serious li'l Luke's face is...

Aspen said...

Katie, that looks like so much fun!
It makes me want to move there even more!
You guys are so cute!
xoxo

Tiffani Mills said...

Hey Katie- looks like lots of fun! Your boys are both so adorable! So cute but so different to me! Ezra is definitely yours and I am guessing Luke looks more like his dad did?? He is such a cutie. But can't believe he is Ezra's brother- such a different look.

o said...

Hi Katie! Your boys are so cute! It looks like you are having alot of fun. What a pretty place. I would love to travel back there someday.

Hillery said...

How cool is it that you have white sand beaches just a short drive away? Now I want to come to SC even more! Keep your fingers crossed for an interview.

Anonymous said...

Katie, I am sooo glad to see that your blog is up and running again. What a trip. Charleston looks amazing. I am jealous that you have so many places so close to you to take advantage of visiting. We miss you here so much. I am am really missing my VT companion!!! I hope you are well and am really excited to be able to keep in touch through these crazy blogs. Love, Sarah

Krista said...

It looks like you got a lot of photos. What a fun little trip. I'm loving hearing about these adventures. Are you coming out here for the holidays? I would love to see you.

Grandma Kimmy said...

Looks like so much fun--wish I was there! I miss you all like crazy.
Love,
Mom

Tommy and Teisha said...

Wow you got some really awesome pictures... looks like ya'll had fun.

brooke romney said...

Kates, those pictures are awesome. I love them. I can't believe how big Luke is getting. We'll be so excited to see you at Christmas.

AndersenFamily said...

Katie, so fun to see all the happenings in the South! We went back to the old ward's Halloween Party and we missed seeing you guys there!

Troy, Kristin, and Two Rug Rats said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun. And maybe a place I should visit some time. Your boys are darling. I love Luke's blonde locks. So cute.

Shanna said...

looks like you two are having the time of your life! ah I am so jealous. I want to move some place like that. Katie, I say this every time, but When I look at your pictures, I can't help but miss you! Man I wish you lived here so we could play!!!

ryan and melissa said...

Beautiful pics and a beautiful family!!

Rachelle said...

UPDATES please, I wanna halloween costumes, and everything, Katie we need to see what you guys are up to! :)

Shanna said...

seriously, i would love to do your pictures just let me know when if you do! You guys are cute and it would be a lot of fun. Thanks for your kind words!!!

Jake, Teylor, Walker & Hayes said...

Hey Guys!! I hope all is well in SC:) Can you email me your address? teylormauss@yahoo.com:0

Thanks

Stephanie said...

Katie, I love all your fun pictures. You all look wonderful. I'm glad you found us again! We are just NW of Tucson. I've been Primary president for the last 3+ years. We have 120 in Primary and 60 in nursery. It's been quite a rollar coaster ride!

ryan and melissa said...

I would LOVE to get together while you are in town! Give me a call (my number is the same) or e-mail me your number (hotmelfaye@hotmail.com)

Lance and Em said...

Hey girl. I'm trying to do my Christmas Cards and realized I don't have your new address. Will you send it to me?

Tristen said...

hey girl! i need your new address! email me at ryntris11@hotmail.com
thanks!

Kimberli K said...

Wow, Katie...those pictures are so great! Charleston looks like an amazing city. At least there's lots of cool and unique stuff to visit out there, since you have to be so far from home. Your weekend trips sound so fun!! We're exctied to see you tomorrow!

Alder Family said...

HI guys! How are you? Will you email me your address so that we can send you a christmas card? Thanks. megan@alders.com

Shanna said...

New post please!

brooke romney said...

I'm seconding Shanna. New post PLEASE!

Mrs. Jensen said...

Happy Birthday! I can't call your house because it is past midnight there, but I wanted you to know that I know its your birthday and I will be calling you tomorrow!